At Burlton Cottages and Spa we deliver the best eco-luxury we can. We do that by using renewable energy and living in an environmentally-friendly way. Here’s how:
- The cottages and spa have underfloor heating throughout, supplied by a biomass boiler which uses sustainably produced wood chip.
- Electricity is powered by solar panels.
- Plastic is minimised by using refillable soaps and shampoo bottles throughout.
- The Spa was built by local craftsmen using locally-sourced building materials wherever possible.
- Within the Spa, the pool and hot tub water is purified by Ultraviolet light before the need for chemicals.
- The products used in the massage treatments are handmade by Wida, using traditional Thai methods.
Rachel and Gerry even farm in a conservation-friendly manner. Schemes have been implemented to enhance and conserve the nature and woodland areas around the estate:
- Grass margins have been left along all watercourses.
- Lapwing breeding and feeding zones have been established.
- A woodland scheme includes new tree planting.
- Barn owl boxes have led to successful breeding.
- The couple even stopped cultivating the soil at the farm to minimise disturbance. So the earthworm population is thriving – and they do the job instead of machines.