What our guests (and their dogs) say..
To help make your dog-friendly holiday as relaxing and fun as possible, we provide a dog hamper on arrival which includes:
- Two dog bowls
- Dog treats
- Food mat
- Poop bags and separate outdoor poop bin
- Toy and ball thrower
- Throws for covering the furniture
- Pet towels
- ’40 Winks’ dog bed
Inside our dog-friendly holiday cottages we can provide a safety gate if you want to block access across a door, please request one if needed. There is also a large dog crate available on request, it’s dimensions are L91 x W57 x H62cm – suitable for dogs weighing up to 32kg.
In all the holiday cottages there’s a map of walks and an Ordanance Survey Explorer map of the area. You’ll also find a list of dog-friendly pubs nearby – our village pub, The Burlton Inn, is the closest. It is just a five minute walk along footpaths, serves food and welcomes dogs. A list of dog-friendly visitor attractions is also provided along with two handy books to help you plan your adventures: Shropshire, A Dog Walker’s Guide and 50 Walks 92-10 miles) in Shropshire, AA.
Outside there are hot and cold mixer taps to wash muddy paws. As well as the enclosed garden at The Stable and the enclosed patio at The Courtyard there’s an enclosed mowed grass paddock, so you can let your dog off the lead without having to worry about them running off.
The RSPCA have produced a useful guide to taking your dog on holiday which has some handy tips for travelling with your pooch.
As part of the booking procedure, you are required to sign the terms and conditions. These include you agreeing to our Dog Policy, which is essential to ensure our cottages remain in their excellent, clean condition for all future guests. Thank you for your co-operation!
Your booking is accepted on the basis of you agreeing to the following conditions:
• We understand that smaller dogs may want to snuggle up on the sofa with you; please don’t allow your dogs on the sofa without using the dog throws provided.
• Dogs are not permitted in the bedrooms of our cottages. All bedroom doors must be kept firmly closed to prevent access by dogs.
• Dogs are not permitted to be left in the cottage or grounds unattended unless it is crated. A large crate can be provided on request, please notify us at the time of booking.
• The interior and grounds of the property must be left in a clean, undamaged condition. Any soiling occurring in the grounds and on the farm walks must be removed immediately.
• Dogs must be clean before entry to the cottage. Washing taps and towels are provided for muddy paws.
• Your dog must not be permitted to cause any kind of nuisance to the neighbouring properties.
• Your dog must be at least one-year-old at the time of your holiday. Dogs must be fully house-trained and well-behaved.
• On departure, pet hairs should be removed by using the vacuums available in each cottage, to ensure the property is in the clean condition it was at the start of the rental period.
We recommend that you bring plenty of your dog’s bedding and towels with you, dog food, treats and toys. You may need your wellingtons or strong walking boots in the winter.
There is plenty of space to exercise your dog here at the farm.
Again, thank you for your co-operation!
Out and about with your dog
Recommended dog-friendly pubs and attractions
Many local pubs and restaurants allow your dogs to accompany you whilst having a well-earned rest. We have listed dog-friendly places here – however, it may be worth a call beforehand to check that your requirements can be met.
Burlton: The Burlton Inn, just a 5 minute walk away, SY4 5TB. Tel: 01939 270284
Loppington: The Dickin Arms, 2 miles away, SY4 5SR. Tel: 01939 233471
Baschurch: The New Inn, 3 miles away, SY4 2EF. Tel: 01939 260335
Ellesmere: The Boathouse, alongside The Mere, 5 miles away, SY12 0PA. Tel: 01691 623852
Welshampton: The Sun Inn, 7 miles away, SY12 0PH. Tel: 01948 710847
Shrewsbury: The Lion Hotel, 8 miles away, SY1 1UY. Tel: 01743 353107
Shrewsbury: The Armoury (until 7pm), 8 miles away, SY1 1HH. Tel: 01743 340525
Whittington: Jack Mytton Inn, on the canal, 9 miles away, SY11 4NL. Tel: 01691 679861
Whitchurch: Dearnford Lake, with lakeside walks, 10 miles away, SY13 3JQ. Tel: 01948 665594
Wrexham: The Cross Foxes, Erbistock, 12 miles away, LL13 0DR. Tel: 01978 780380
Dog-friendly places to visit in Shropshire
Just a few of the dog-friendly places to visit locally. Again, it may be worth calling if you have specific requirements whilst on your day out. Visit the websites below:
Local pet services
Dog walking and dog-sitting
If you require a dog walking and sitting service whilst staying at Burlton Cottages, please get in touch directly with David Barber who is a fully insured and experienced local dog walker. Contact David on 01939 220429, 07722943758 or email@example.com. However, if you have difficulty booking a dog walker, please let us know in advance and we will endeavour to find someone who can help.
Hopefully, you won’t need a vet whilst staying with us, but just in case, we recommend:
Brownlow Veterinary Practice, Ellesmere. Tel: 01691 622152
We live on site, so please let us know during your stay if there is an emergency, as we do have vet contacts.